Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ensign/Liahona Aspirations

The following is my surefire plan to get a picture of me in the Conference edition of the Ensign/Liahona:

I have been home from "the mish" for a little over 2 1/2 years, long time right? In that time I have not seen any of my former companions. I had 11 companions, 10 of them are from africa; South Africa (4), Madagascar (1), Zimbabwe (1), Kenya (1), Uganda (2), Ghana (1). My companion from Ghana, Elder Brown, attends BYU-I. Janna attends BYU-I. I called Janna and had her give him a ride down here to Utah for conference/mission reunions. So she did. Before they came Sylvester (Elder Brown) informed me that he had conference tickets to the sunday morning session! w00t! Never seen motab in person. So we went to mission reunions (two) and had some fun. He visited his "lady friend" from Ghana who is going to BYU.

So on saturday I had a genius idea! You know how when you look through the pictures of the conference Ensign/Liahona they only put "ethnic" looking people in it? You know where i'm going with this right? Sylvester and his friend are black africans. I told Sylvester and his "lady friend" that our goal for the day was to get in pictures taken by Ensign photographers! They thought it was a good idea. The session ended and we started walking around. When we saw photographers we would walk past them multiple times. Then we were walking behind some regular white people and the photographer takes their pic. We walk past and I say to Sylvester, "that was messed up, he should have taken our picture." Out of the corner of my eye I see the photographer walking up to us, "can I take your picture." We accepted. We stood there and smiled while he took a bunch of pictures, changed settings and positions then took more. We walked away satisfied. They take thousands of pictures, but I think our chances are pretty good. A white guy and two native africans, very diverse, you know, like the church. Oh, and conference was great!








here are some pics of elder brown and I:

Elder Brown all thugged out.
















the fav.

4 comments:

Abbie said...

Awesome. I'll look for you in next months Ensign.

Jason & Shannon said...

Hahaha! Brilliant idea! Too bad Jason wasn't with you. They would have put you in for sure! Yay for ethnicity!

Nate said...

Perfect. Flawless. I'll conjure up all of my Dye-pawns if you're not in the Ensign to flood the Church Office Building with emails threatening to pull their subscriptions. The ones they don't have.

Missy Johnson said...

You rock my socks off. For some reason I feel like you may have stuck out a little on your mission.